This is a fairly new blog, and while I secretly hope the entire world more than a dozen nice people will read it, I understand it will take a while for readership levels to increase. That is why I was pleasantly surprised the other day to learn someone had stumbled upon this page and after a quick perusal, awarded VCFY the prestigious Liebster Award.
What? You know not about this award?
In the blogosphere, there are several awards that get passed around from blog to blog, usually to indicate the blog is worth a few minutes of your time, and also to help connect bloggers who otherwise might not ever meet. Kind of like a chain-letter but with blog posts instead of letters. Apropos since very few of us actually write letters now. Anyhow, the Liebster is one of those awards.
These awards usually come with a set of “rules” that must be followed exactly, unless you want to change them, or ignore them completely. Hey, it’s your blog; put what you want on it, right? But everything is in the spirit of fun and is designed to remind us all that despite the gazillions of ‘bots out there trying to like and friend you and your ten social media accounts, there are still real people out here clacking keys or smashing fingers on glass screens to bring original content to the world.
The rules for this Liebster Award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and post a link to their blog.
- Display the award on your blog (Google it and find many, many versions!)
- Answer 11 questions provided by the blogger who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate blogs (maximum is 11) which have less than 200 followers which you think deserve the award. Don’t feel guilty if you can’t nominate 11 blogs, this is a flexible award and the rules can be bent a little. Or a lot.
- Post these rules on your blog. Well, that’s done.
- Tag your nominees for the Liebster and let them know with a link to your post!
So here we go:
Thanks to Debarati Das of The Politically Wrong Bong for nominating me for the Liebster! They openly admitted to accidentally stumbling upon my blog while looking for vegan recipes. I think this is awesome because I accidentally stumbled into being a vegan. And I must admit, Debarati’s blog title has quite the hook to it.
Display award on blog – look up. See it?
Eleven questions from Debarati:
- What is your favorite TV show and why?
- Truth be told, I’m partial to the original Bob Newhart Show. But these days, it would have to be Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch. Why? The show almost seems like a testament to human bravery and/or stupidity. Why sail a boat into frigid waters amidst 30 foot waves, hundreds of miles away from safety, when there are easier ways to make a living? But that’s what fishermen do. The best part of the show, however, is getting past the bravado put up by the crew and watching their true selves come out on camera. Sig – you let your 18-year old daughter go on a king crab expedition? That, my friends, is bravery.
- What according to me are the reasons people blog?
- There is an instinctual desire for people to express themselves. And Twitter limits you to 140 characters. Facebook? By the time you finish typing your post, Zuck-man will have changed the rules on you again. Stick with blogging. Be in charge of something!
- If you could change something about the community around you, what would you do?
- If people could understand that different is not the same thing as wrong, I think we would be in a much better world.
- Can you name one idea for an app on your phone/tablet that you wish someone had built but they didn’t?
- Still waiting for the app that will fish-smack someone who didn’t care enough to listen to what you were saying, but instead listened for you to finish only so they could reply.
- How does getting the Liebster award make you feel?
- I’m answering these questions while in a coffee shop with the air conditioning on full blast, so I feel cold at the moment.
- What is the one quality you deem most important in your best friend?
- She is accepting of my faults and is nice enough to not mention them (too often.)
- What was one experience in your life that changed you forever?
- Married the best friend mentioned in the previous question. Sorry for the rest of you – you missed out.
- What is the best present you ever received?
- Two great kids. And God’s grace. Does that count as three gifts?
- Somebody gives you a vault full of money, what would you do with it?
- Tithe first, then pay off the bills. If there was anything left, I’d buy a big house on the Chesapeake Bay and start a writer’s retreat. I’d also hire a Japanese woman named Gilja to run the house and the kitchen. Then I’d go on a diet. I’d have to. Gilja is a great cook.
- Two places you would love to travel?
- Marfa, Texas
- Port Isaac in Cornwall – aka Portwenn for you Doc Martin fans.
- What is your best quality?
- Don’t ask me. Take a poll. (Oh, and by the way, free drinks for everyone who says something nice about me.)
Eleven random facts about me:
- I spent one summer volunteering with a medical team in the mountains of northern Nicaragua just as their civil war was starting.
- I don’t like beets.
- I’m not too wild about tapioca pudding, either.
- I’m essentially a professional typist, but I only use about three fingers and two thumbs.
- I ordered coffee at a Starbucks in Paris.
- One of my nicknames as a young lad was Jalapeno Kid, because I would eat the peppers whole when at Tex-Mex cafés.
- I was the only bouncer in a country-western honkytonk who never threw a punch. I could always talk the belligerent party out the door.
- No green thumbs here. I have killed cactus. Twice.
- I’m a better shot at 500 yards than I am at 300 yards.
- I’m not the person I used to be, but now I’m more like the person I started out to be.
- I have no regrets. If I ever start to think about the what-ifs, I look at my what-you-haves. No regrets.
Eleven blogs worth checking out, thusly receiving my nomination for the next round of Liebster Awards. I chose to choose a few relatively new (to me, at least) blogs, and a few old friends. It’s a tough call. Every blog I follow is awesome. Or I wouldn’t be reading them. Okay, so it’s just nine. Get over it.
- http://ladyofthecakes.wordpress.com/ It’s about cake. Need I say more?
- http://www.onepricklypear.com/ Creative recipes for the inner cook in all of us. Yes!
- http://simplyrawfood.wordpress.com/ A food blog deserving of much more recognition. Let’s do it, people!
- A vegetarian oasis – http://www.deenakakaya.com/ Check it out. Delicious stuff here.
- http://thefearlesscookingclub.com/ One of my long-time favourites. These folks have the right idea about food, drink, and family. Some of them are even related.
- http://livingonthenorthernplains.wordpress.com/ This is not a food blog – but it is a place you should visit. It will make you think. And that’s not such a bad thing.
- http://www.abandonedamerica.us/ I’m new to this one, too, but it looks intriguing. Nice photography here, as well.
- http://www.gregorydudzienski.com/ Okay, so it’s not a blog. But you gotta have music. This guy is the real deal.
- http://www.thebaldjerk.com/ This is a brand new blog. Expect Hunter S. Thompson tempered with a Quaker heritage. This blog won’t make you think – it will challenge your thinking.
For those nominated who wish to play along, try these questions:
- Before you started reading this post, what were you doing?
- What is the tastiest food or drink in your kitchen right now?
- Name one word your friends use to describe you?
- What is your wish/prayer for humankind?
- Five years ago, what were you were doing on your birthday?
- Six years from now, what would you like to be doing on your birthday?
- What do you hope to gain by being a blogger?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
- If you could move anywhere, money not a worry, where would it be?
- Who, from today throughout history, would make a great dinner guest in your flat?
- What, or who, inspires you?
Well, there you have it. Now back to work. Too many tomatoes in the kitchen, not enough salsa. Yet.